Cyclone MBC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MTB Marathon - Builth-Wells 15th April

+5
Tom
Jase
Andy
speedy_daz
Tin Tin
9 posters

Go down

MTB Marathon - Builth-Wells 15th April Empty MTB Marathon - Builth-Wells 15th April

Post  Tin Tin 2007-04-11, 12:15

1st Merida Marathon of 2007 this weekend at Builth-Wells. The weather is looking ok so it should be a good weekend. Any one else going?

http://www.mtb-marathon.co.uk/events/builth_wells_spring.php
Tin Tin
Tin Tin
XTR
XTR

Number of posts : 281
Bike : Cannondale RZ120 - 2
Registration date : 2006-10-27

http://www.roughridersmbc.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

MTB Marathon - Builth-Wells 15th April Empty Re: MTB Marathon - Builth-Wells 15th April

Post  speedy_daz 2007-04-11, 12:32

I will be there. Im going todo battle with the traffic on Friday straight from work so have the choice of chilling out or riding on Saturday
speedy_daz
speedy_daz
Chris King Racer 600
Chris King Racer 600

Number of posts : 689
Bike : OnOne Inbred 29er, Giant Trance X, Trek 4300, GT Avalanche, Genesis Day 02
Registration date : 2006-10-29

http://brogboroughlake.co.uk

Back to top Go down

MTB Marathon - Builth-Wells 15th April Empty Re: MTB Marathon - Builth-Wells 15th April

Post  Andy 2007-04-12, 07:16

Stuart and I will be there. Lunch and Bike browsing in Mud-Dock in Bristol then onto Builth for about 3pm ready for the ELBNO and the sping ride on Sunday. Should be good!

sunny
Andy
Andy
XTR and a pair of Crossmax SLR's

Number of posts : 381
Bike : Yeti AS-R
Registration date : 2006-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Jase 2007-04-12, 09:32

Is there a separate fee for the night ride or is it free if you’ve signed up for the Sunday slog
Jase
Jase
Chris King Racer 600
Chris King Racer 600

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2006-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy 2007-04-12, 10:02

Yes mate, £40 for the night ride and the sunday event together, although you pay for the two separately through the website and then you get refunded £15-I got the cheque through this week. You gooing to do the night ride then?

cheers
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jase 2007-04-12, 12:45

No mate, not even going Laughing

Just wondered as Andy and Kieran are going and I wasn't sure if they new about the night ride.
Jase
Jase
Chris King Racer 600
Chris King Racer 600

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom 2007-04-13, 15:47

Hell Of the North Cotswolds this weekend... I'm going to suffer!

Enjoy the Merida guys.

Tom Very Happy
Tom
Tom
XT
XT

Number of posts : 140
Bike : Trek Remedy 9, Trek Madone 4.5

Back to top Go down

Post  Tin Tin 2007-04-13, 15:58

Tom wrote:Hell Of the North Cotswolds this weekend... I'm going to suffer!

Enjoy the Merida guys.

Tom Very Happy

Good luck Tom!

Graham
Tin Tin
Tin Tin
XTR
XTR

Number of posts : 281
Bike : Cannondale RZ120 - 2
Registration date : 2006-10-27

http://www.roughridersmbc.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom 2007-04-15, 07:09

How did you guys get on at the Merida? You do the night stage as well?

Was a fantastic sunny day in the Cotswolds, and a really good ride, dunno about 'Hell' of the North Cotswolds, was pretty Heavenly! Not a particularly technical route, but some cracking decents nonetheless and mostly off-road.

Did the 50km this year in 3hrs 12min, which I was pretty happy with. Think I'll aim to do the 100km next year.

See you next weekend, should be free for the Sunday ride!

Tom cheers
Tom
Tom
XT
XT

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy_daz 2007-04-16, 04:37

I only done the day ride it was another warm one I done the 50km about 4 hours I think I would of been a bit quicker but I got some really bad cramp just after the first feed station and had to take it easy after that
I haven't a clue why I cramped up I had plenty to eat,drink and was properly hydrated felt like i had plenty of energy but the legs didn't want to know
I really enjoyed the course some great single track in the woods and the decents on the moorland were scary fast. (I think thats good isn't it)

Swampy John done the night ride in under 2.5 hrs (40km)
I'll let Andy and Stuart tell their storys about the night ride one finished and one didn't thats all Im saying but fair play for having ago I admit I bottled it Im just glad I didn't have any proper lights so i had a good excuse

Theres another story about a hight restriction bar in Bristal to come from Andy and Stuart too Razz
speedy_daz
speedy_daz
Chris King Racer 600
Chris King Racer 600

Number of posts : 689
Bike : OnOne Inbred 29er, Giant Trance X, Trek 4300, GT Avalanche, Genesis Day 02

http://brogboroughlake.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Jase 2007-04-16, 05:08

Theres another story about a hight restriction bar in Bristal to come from Andy and Stuart too

You' can't jut leave it that Darren, come on its Monday we could all do with some amusement Laughing
Jase
Jase
Chris King Racer 600
Chris King Racer 600

Back to top Go down

Post  Craig 2007-04-16, 05:56

Tom,

I did the HONC yesterday also - 3hrs 16 mins. Great weather. Did you do it last year? It was a different route but borrowed sections from last year and ran them in reverse. It also added some new bits. I didn't think it was too bad, it certainly felt easier than last year but then I am fitter and on a different bike.
Craig
Craig
XT
XT

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2006-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom 2007-04-16, 10:50

Craig wrote:Tom,

I did the HONC yesterday also - 3hrs 16 mins.

Ah no way! Must have just missed you then - was wearing my Cyclone top too. Very Happy

I didn't do it last year, I've only done it once before. Think that was in 2001, maybe 2000, so was a very different loop (included bits of Cleeve that year).

Definitely do it again next year I think.

Tom
Tom
Tom
XT
XT

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy 2007-04-17, 04:52

Right where do I start?!!!

The height restriction bar thing was interesting but Stuart had a rough weekend but all that happened was we didn't see a maximum height bar driving into the Mud Dock car park-everyone there saw it. Luckily it was unlocked!!! Even the graet Matt Carr noticed it! Talk about dying in the presence of MTB fame! (He's in What MTB by the way).

Stu unfortuantely didn't finish the night ride he has a broken wrist and a sore head-and got a huge slap from his misses when he got home! Funny!! I had the usual expected technicals I always have but finished in a disappointing 3h14mins!! I did the 25k in 1h30 though! Hardcore!

It was a great weekend, hard, fast and hot, but thats enough of my weekend, the Merida was great! The routes were a bit short, even Nick Craig noticed that, only doing the 75k in 2h40!!! Oh how I bow to your greatness sir! We all had a good laugh and I'm sure we'll be going back soon. XL T-shirts as well! My highlight!

lol!
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post  Stuart 2007-04-17, 06:13

The ride was awesome. I was enjoying the night riding so much, being chased downhill in the night by other riders was just a buzz in itself. I was making good time. I reckon I would of finished 2hrs 35min. I think John finished 2hr 15 mins. I had done 2/3 of the course before I crashed. I was going around 26mph downhill. When I crashed my heart rate fell from 139-90 bpm within 2 seconds. (Love technology) Scarey, I was close to blacking out.

The Paramedics were with me within 5 seconds, it was a known black spot apparentley!!!

I should be fixed in 6 weeks hopefully.

I think it was an omen when I bumped into the overhead barrier at Mud Doc in Bristol.

In all seriousness it was a lucky escape. I guess our passion for riding can be as dangerous or as safe as we want to make it. But I just got carried away, so easy to do.

Stuart
Deore
Deore

Number of posts : 35
Bike : Giant Anthem 2
Registration date : 2007-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  N@th 2007-04-17, 07:11

Eh......75K in 2hrs 40mins, thats averaging 18.9mph.....was it a road ride or what? They're machines !! Either that or they cheated.

Stuart, have you got the GPS tracklog so we can have a butchers at the elevation profile etc?

What time did you start on Sat night and Sunday?

Sounds like an eventful weekend, good work though!

Last edited by on 2007-04-17, 07:20; edited 1 time in total
N@th
N@th
Chris King Ultimate Racer
Chris King Ultimate Racer

Number of posts : 902
Bike : BMX Aero Burner, CW handlebars, 2 finger brakes, layback seat post.

Back to top Go down

Post  Little Gav 2007-04-17, 07:11

Nice one Stuart.

Your the very first one up for the FUBAR award this year !

Fingers crossed. If your plaster allows that is.

Very Happy
Little Gav
Little Gav
Chris King Racer 600
Chris King Racer 600

Number of posts : 652
Bike : Orange Five, P7 & Condor Fratello
Registration date : 2006-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Jase 2007-04-17, 09:40

I think Andy said the night ride started at 7.30 and the day ride 10.30
Jase
Jase
Chris King Racer 600
Chris King Racer 600

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy 2007-04-18, 14:33

Results are on the 'Results' tab on the Merida website:

http://www.mtb-marathon.co.uk/results/results.php

I came third from last apparently, even though there were five people behing me when I finished. Not sure about the timings, but its clear, in evaluative terms, I was gash!!
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum