Cyclone MBC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mavic Crossmax Enduro wheelset

3 posters

Go down

Mavic Crossmax Enduro wheelset Empty Mavic Crossmax Enduro wheelset

Post  Tom 2007-01-27, 07:50

What do people think of these:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15858

They'd replace my Rolf Urracco wheels on my Trek hardtail.

I've always heard that Mavic stuff is pretty reliable. But failing the above, does anyone have any suggestions for a wheelset that might fit with the following:
- light, but not super-light
- strong enough to cope with Welsh trail weekends and the occassional airbourne foray
- cartridge bearings (Shimano cones have fallen from favour with me Sad )
- either a good sturdy freewheel mechanism, or one that's cheap to replace (I'm a bit worried about the Mavic set here as I suspect they're costly to replace and possibly not that reliable).

Edit: Oh, and UST - is it A Good Thing (TM)?

Cheers guys,
Tom
Tom
Tom
XT
XT

Number of posts : 140
Bike : Trek Remedy 9, Trek Madone 4.5
Registration date : 2006-10-29

Back to top Go down

Mavic Crossmax Enduro wheelset Empty Re: Mavic Crossmax Enduro wheelset

Post  N@th 2007-01-27, 11:14

Tom,

I have the Crossmax SL UST wheelset. I've always been a fan of Mavic, seeing as most hubs are laced with Mavic rims, they must be doing something right. They are one of the lightests and strongest wheelsets you can buy. They are still as true as they were when I first got them, however I have had them 18 months and so far changed both front and rear cartridge bearings (only £12 a pop) and also the freewheel. (Mavic £45). BUt thats the good thing, they take cartridge bearings instead of balls and cones, so no fiddling to set the pressure. I love them, but were a bit pricie at £550! No

There are some UST tyres that aren't quite as 'compatible' as others, but I run Bonti Mud X, they are awesome (plus super light)

Andy has the Crossmax XLs, but they are more All Country wheels and weigh a fair bit. They have the same upside down hollow spokes as the Sl's but in black.

I think the Enduro's also come up pretty light like the SL's the front is 850g and the rear is 985g so pretty light!

Found them here for £227 clicky

I reckon they are a good buy either way. Also I love the Crossmax graphics!
N@th
N@th
Chris King Ultimate Racer

Number of posts : 902
Bike : BMX Aero Burner, CW handlebars, 2 finger brakes, layback seat post.
Registration date : 2006-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom 2007-01-27, 15:53

Excellent - thanks Nath. Very Happy

I can cope with £45 for a freewheel - as long as they don't stop making them! Which given it's Mavic, I think is unlikely. And yes, I'm well and truly sold on cartridge bearings, no risk of destroying a perfectly good wheel because Shimano doesn't know a seal from a sea-lion, not that I'm bitter!

Wahoo! cheers Just bought a set.

Think I'll run them with regular tyres for now, until my Panaracer ones wear out, then give UST a whirl. Only think I'm slightly disappointed with is that they're not red. Wink But I couldn't really justify the expense of the Crossmax SLRs. However sexy they might be!

Still, black is a pretty fast colour, right?

Enjoy Chicksands tomorrow guys, can't come myself as I'm on call this weekend. (Bah).

Tom (checking the post to see if his wheels are here yet) Very Happy
Tom
Tom
XT
XT

Back to top Go down

Post  Craig 2007-01-29, 05:56

Guys I have only quickly scanned this post but... I read somewhere that some Mavic freewheels don't last. More specifically they're prone to going if you are a heavy/strong rider or riding style/location puts more than average torque through the drivetrain.
Craig
Craig
XT
XT

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2006-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom 2007-01-29, 15:47

Craig wrote:Guys I have only quickly scanned this post but... I read somewhere that some Mavic freewheels don't last. More specifically they're prone to going if you are a heavy/strong rider or riding style/location puts more than average torque through the drivetrain.

*fingers in ears*

Wink

Thanks for the heads-up Craig, I'll keep an eye on it.

I'm sure it'll be fine, I'm not particularly heavy and I'm certainly not a particularly strong rider, so should be ok. Might try and get hold of a spare though before I need it.

And they're shiny! Very Happy

Cheers guys,
Tom
P.s. Did I mention how shiny they are?
Tom
Tom
XT
XT

Back to top Go down

Post  Craig 2007-01-29, 16:18

Shiny rims are like a clean car - always goes faster Laughing

I hope they work out for you. I am sure there's loads of riders getting tons of hard mileage out of them. I looked at them when my factory fit rear wheel with unbranded hub gave up the ghost 8 miles away from the car pale Call it a knee jerk reaction but when I study the feedback I opted for an XT hub with Mavic rims. A few complaints doesn't make a bad product - bad news always travels fast and louder than good. I'd certainly hunt down a spare freewheel much better than having to buy a whole new wheel or hub whilst your looking for one.
Craig
Craig
XT
XT

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2006-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  N@th 2007-01-30, 04:41

Yes, funny though.......I only did about 1500 miles on mine before the pawls in the FH went. You can't buy the pwals seperately, (well I couldn't find the ones for SL's anywhere!) so a new freehub was required.

Due to the fact they have Ceramic bearings, they are over £45 !!! Whereas a Shimano one os under £10 !! Easy to fit though!
N@th
N@th

Number of posts : 902
Bike : BMX Aero Burner, CW handlebars, 2 finger brakes, layback seat post.
Registration date : 2006-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down