Cyclone MBC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VC HERO

2 posters

Go down

VC HERO Empty VC HERO

Post  superflyjim 2007-05-31, 06:22

Right where do I start???

As some of you know I'm an Ex squaddie,and one of the things I hold close to my heart is the fact that this nation has reputation of being a Fair and Just society.
But I feel we the british public have been let down drastically by our Government and some faceless civil servants that have no back bone and no common sense!
I will now bring your attention to the story of Rifleman Tul Bahadar Pun V.C.

This man fought for our country in WWII in the jungles of Burma against the Japanese.He was a member of a Gurkha unit that was involed in some extremly heavy fighting,most of it was hand to hand combat!
Here is a copy of his citation for the Victoria Cross:

No. 10119 Rifleman Tullbahadur Pun, 6th Gurkha Rifles, Indian Army.

"In Burma on June 23rd, 1944, a Battalion of the 6th Gurkha Rifles was ordered to attack the Railway Bridge at Mogaung. Immediately the attack developed the enemy opened concentrated and sustained cross fire at close range from a position known as the Red House and from a strong bunker position two hundred yards to the left of it.

So intense was this cross fire that both the leading platoons of 'B' Company, one of which was Rifleman Tulbahadur Pun's, were pinned to the ground and the whole of his Section was wiped out with the exception of himself, the Section commander and one other man. The Section commander immediately led the remaining two men in a charge on the Red House but was at once badly wounded. Rifleman Tulbahadur Pun and his remaining companion continued the charge, but the latter too was immediately wounded.

Rifleman Tulbahadur Pun then seized the Bren Gun, and firing from the hip as he went, continued the charge on this heavily bunkered position alone, in the face of the most shattering concentration of automatic fire, directed straight at him. With the dawn coming up behind him, he presented a perfect target to the Japanese. He had to move for thirty yards over open ground, ankle deep in mud, through shell holes and over fallen trees.

Despite these overwhelming odds, he reached the Red House and closed with the Japanese occupations. He killed three and put five more to flight and captured two light machine guns and much ammunition. He then gave accurate supporting fire from the bunker to the remainder of his platoon which enabled them to reach their objective.

His outstanding courage and superb gallantry in the face of odds which meant almost certain death were most inspiring to all ranks and beyond praise."

This man is now in very poor health he lives in a hut in the mountains of Nepal with NO running water or power.He has to walk and be carried by 3 men for 3 days to go and collect his Army pension of £132 a month.If he fails to arrive,he does not get paid,he can not send someone else to get the money either!
He has run out of medication and has a number of life theatening illness.

He applyed for a Visa to stay in the UK,it was REFUSED!
Due to him be not able to and i quote "Prove he had strong enough ties to the UK".
The man has been awarded the Victoria Cross for F*** sake.This countrys highest award for Bravery.

What I'm hoping to do is get all you on here to just spend 5 minutes and log on to the links and send e-mails to your local MP expressing your anger at this.Also if you could sign the petition on the Downing street website that would be brilliant,if you could forward the details onto you family and friends via e-mail,snail mail,texting or just by talking about it then maybe we can get these idiots to change there minds.

Sorry rant over,here are the links:

http://www.theyworkforyou.com

http://www.vchero.co.uk/

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gurkhas-rights/

Here is some draft letters for you e-mail,just insert your name etc.

Dear Mr. XXXXXX,

Reference: Tul Bahadur Pun VC

I would be grateful if you'd ask a question of the Home Secretary regarding the reported refusal of the government to grant Mr. Pun permission to live in Britain because he has "failed to demonstrate that [you] have strong ties with the UK" and because 'he had "not produced satisfactory evidence" that he had a "chronic or long term medical condition" and that treatment here would significantly improve his quality of life', despite having a heart condition, poor eyesight, asthma, diabetes and high blood pressure which require daily medication.
(Source www.dailymail.co.uk/pa..._id=1811).

I'm aware that the Daily Mail isn't the most solid of sources and perhaps there is more to this story than meets the eye, but with many 'dubious' immigration requests being granted, it seems grotesquely unfair that a VC winner has been refused a home by the country he defended with his life.

As Mr. Pun's life potentially hangs in the balance due to his ill-health, I would request that this question be raised without delay and the decision to refuse permission to allow this hero entry to the UK be reversed.

For your information, please find below the citation for Tul Bahadur Pun's VC:

No. 10119 Rifleman Tullbahadur Pun, 6th Gurkha Rifles, Indian Army.

"In Burma on June 23rd, 1944, a Battalion of the 6th Gurkha Rifles was ordered to attack the Railway Bridge at Mogaung. Immediately the attack developed the enemy opened concentrated and sustained cross fire at close range from a position known as the Red House and from a strong bunker position two hundred yards to the left of it.

So intense was this cross fire that both the leading platoons of 'B' Company, one of which was Rifleman Tulbahadur Pun's, were pinned to the ground and the whole of his Section was wiped out with the exception of himself, the Section commander and one other man. The Section commander immediately led the remaining two men in a charge on the Red House but was at once badly wounded. Rifleman Tulbahadur Pun and his remaining companion continued the charge, but the latter too was immediately wounded.

Rifleman Tulbahadur Pun then seized the Bren Gun, and firing from the hip as he went, continued the charge on this heavily bunkered position alone, in the face of the most shattering concentration of automatic fire, directed straight at him. With the dawn coming up behind him, he presented a perfect target to the Japanese. He had to move for thirty yards over open ground, ankle deep in mud, through shell holes and over fallen trees.

Despite these overwhelming odds, he reached the Red House and closed with the Japanese occupations. He killed three and put five more to flight and captured two light machine guns and much ammunition. He then gave accurate supporting fire from the bunker to the remainder of his platoon which enabled them to reach their objective.

His outstanding courage and superb gallantry in the face of odds which meant almost certain death were most inspiring to all ranks and beyond praise."

Yours sincerely,
superflyjim
superflyjim
XTR and a pair of Crossmax SLR's
XTR and a pair of Crossmax SLR's

Number of posts : 378
Bike : Commencal Meta 5.5.2 with bling bling XTR
Registration date : 2006-10-29

http://www.arrse.co.uk

Back to top Go down

VC HERO Empty Re: VC HERO

Post  Craig 2007-05-31, 08:14

I am ex RAF and worked with/trained some Gurkha's on my telecomms and radar kit. Very proud bunch of guys, always impeccably turned out and well mannered. Oh and hard as nails.
Craig
Craig
XT
XT

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2006-10-30

Back to top Go down