Cyclone MBC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Wild Wales"

5 posters

Go down

"Wild Wales" Empty "Wild Wales"

Post  Big Gav 2007-05-21, 16:02

Just by the title of the topic you are probably all thinking what is this!!!!

During the Coed-y-Brenin trip in August there is a road cycling event called `Wild Wales` which covers an area around Bala. It is open to everyone but may be a good challenge for those of us who would like to get off the `brown stuff` for a day!

This years` event is only 88 miles and encompasses a couple of Wales` toughest hill climbs.

If you are intersted let me know as I think Julia and I will participate and may even do it on the tandem!!!!

bg

(and yes,you could do it on a mtb bike!)

Big Gav
XT
XT

Number of posts : 154
Bike : Cove Stiffee, Cove Handjob & Rocky Mountain ETX-30
Registration date : 2006-11-14

http://gavin.vanner@hotmail.co.uk

Back to top Go down

"Wild Wales" Empty Re: "Wild Wales"

Post  Craig 2007-05-22, 03:03

Maybe. I just purchased an old road bike. Picking it up tonight. Will get some miles under the wheels and see how I feel. Is there a web address?
Craig
Craig
XT
XT

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2006-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Craig 2007-05-22, 03:16

Organised by http://www.merseysidectc.com/
Craig
Craig
XT
XT

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom 2007-05-22, 10:17

Where'd you get your road bike from Craig?

Looking at picking up a second hand one myself. Ebay's not up to much.

Tom
Tom
Tom
XT
XT

Number of posts : 140
Bike : Trek Remedy 9, Trek Madone 4.5
Registration date : 2006-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Jase 2007-05-23, 02:11

Tom, try putting a wanted ad n the stw classifieds
Jase
Jase
Chris King Racer 600
Chris King Racer 600

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2006-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  speedy_daz 2007-05-23, 08:19

I'm sticking to the brown stuff Cool

If anyone is planning to do it on their mountain bike Ive got some 1.75 slicks that I took off my commuter if anyone wants to borrow them
speedy_daz
speedy_daz
Chris King Racer 600
Chris King Racer 600

Number of posts : 689
Bike : OnOne Inbred 29er, Giant Trance X, Trek 4300, GT Avalanche, Genesis Day 02

http://brogboroughlake.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Craig 2007-05-23, 23:15

Tom,

I know what you mean. I actually got the bike off eBay and travelled 100 miles for it. It took a bit of trawling. I was after a training bike to get some mileage in as the trails near me are abit short. To get any distance I have to hook bridlepath up with sections of road or do laps (which I don't like). I do have a good forest but it's 45 mins drive - so I don't get there that often.

As it was a training/toe in the water bike I wasn't too chosey. The new style bikes, alluminium and carbon etc were being priced a bit out of my range. If I get into it then I'll commit a budget later on. I got an old (1990's!) DiamondBack Momentum chro mo 14 gear thing weighing in at 11.5lbs. She's in mint condition, been well maintained and kept up to date. Last night was the first outing. I managed to get the cautionary 35 mph speed camera on the approach to a bend to tell me to slow down - always tried on the MTB but never triggered it. Just one other remark - who stole the granny rings? - jeez affraid

Last edited by on 2007-05-23, 23:25; edited 1 time in total
Craig
Craig
XT
XT

Back to top Go down

Post  Craig 2007-05-23, 23:24

Tom,

A couple of suggestions... I am setting up a 'Bike2Work' scheme for tax free bike where I work. It'll equate to up to 50% discount. If I buy a new bike then I'll do it through this scheme. Why not see if your employer does it. It'll put a new bike on offer at around second hand prices.

Also, I have booked an intro ride this Sunday with my local road cycing club. They have a good classified section on their website. Try Googling for local clubs and check out their classifieds.

Cheers.
Craig
Craig
XT
XT

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom 2007-05-24, 11:44

Thanks for all the advice Craig - will keep my eyes peeled! Smile

I think work might run a Bike2Work scheme, so I'll look into that, although I seem to remember it's only for people who's main method of transport to work is by bike.

Cheers,
Tom
Tom
Tom
XT
XT

Number of posts : 140
Bike : Trek Remedy 9, Trek Madone 4.5

Back to top Go down

Post  Craig 2007-05-25, 03:11

Tom, check into the Cycle2Work you might be surprised. The words of our agreement are;

'The purpose of the Cycle2work Agreement is to provide you with a discounted bicycle and safety equipment of your choice for commuting and private use as is comfortable/practicable.'

Now ... Laughing we can't police people Suspect and say you haven't cycled in this week and if we did who's to say that 1 day a week/fortnight/month isn't within your comfortable/practicable limits...

If your company offers the scheme it's not to help you out (a few people might have set it up to be helpful) the main reason will be for the 'green' spin HR can put on it. So why not stretch the terms and conditions? Laughing
Craig
Craig
XT
XT

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down