Cyclone MBC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Things I learnt today...

3 posters

Go down

Things I learnt today... Empty Things I learnt today...

Post  Tom 2007-04-17, 15:28

The tyre sealant that comes with Hutchinson's tubeless tyre repair kit is actually superglue.

I learnt this after I glued my thumb to my tyre. Fortunately I could still just about pull it away! Rolling Eyes

What do other people use to seal punctures in tubeless tyres? I'm a bit sceptical about this Hutchinson stuff, as it strikes me that superglue is a bit brittle and might crack when the tyre flexes.

Tom
Tom
Tom
XT
XT

Number of posts : 140
Bike : Trek Remedy 9, Trek Madone 4.5
Registration date : 2006-10-29

Back to top Go down

Things I learnt today... Empty Re: Things I learnt today...

Post  SteveT 2007-04-18, 08:46

Tom,
How big is the pucture? I've been running with tubeless tires (continental, vertical Pro) for the two past years and I've not really had to fix a puncture, I run with tubeless solution (Geax Tubeless Sealent) and this seals the punctures (within reason). I've had a 2" gash in the tire, the solution had problems sealing it so I ended up getting new tire.
SteveT
SteveT
XT
XT

Number of posts : 159
Bike : Specialized Epic and Trek Madone
Registration date : 2007-02-27

http://www.myspace.com/stevetorley

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom 2007-04-18, 17:17

It's only a tiny one, less than 1mm. I'm not running with any sealant inside at the moment.

Maybe that's my mistake! Is sealant The Done Thing where tubeless tyres are concerned then?

Tom
Tom
Tom
XT
XT

Number of posts : 140
Bike : Trek Remedy 9, Trek Madone 4.5
Registration date : 2006-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveT 2007-04-19, 03:23

You should be running with sealant really, it adds a little bit of weight but for me the advantages are worth taking a hit on the weight. When you get a puncture and the air pressure pushes the sealant out and this seals the hole, top up the tire pressure if needed and off you go.. Smile
The sealant can go off over time, I normally change it every 12 months or so. I started using tubeless because of the amount of pitch flats I was getting and apart from one ripped tire I've never had to fix a puncture.

Steve
SteveT
SteveT
XT
XT

Back to top Go down

Post  N@th 2007-04-19, 06:30

Tom, hows tricks.

I always used to swear by Bonti Tyre juice......about £6 for a squirty tube. But started to get a few small (ish) punctures that it wouldn't seel in the cold.

So Andy recommended the GEax Sealer. Looks a little like womens face exfoliating scrub !!! Thats pretty darn good. No punctures to report as such.

Steve, what tyres would you recommend for Spain (Sierra Nevada?)

I can go up pretty wide on the rear. I was thinking maybe Maxxis High Rollers or Vert pros. Been told a lot of the guides out there use tubeless Bonti ACX jones.
N@th
N@th
Chris King Ultimate Racer
Chris King Ultimate Racer

Number of posts : 902
Bike : BMX Aero Burner, CW handlebars, 2 finger brakes, layback seat post.
Registration date : 2006-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveT 2007-04-19, 06:53

Nath,
I've not ridden down that neck of the woods before, I've got the Vert Pro's because of the rocky terrain I was riding in France, it can't be that different down the Sierra Nevada . You can take a look at them on Sunday if you're riding.

Tom,
I use the GEax Sealer and it works well.
SteveT
SteveT
XT
XT

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down