Cyclone MBC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My 1st race: Report

2 posters

Go down

My 1st race: Report Empty My 1st race: Report

Post  MKSteve 2007-10-07, 14:41

Hiya peeps!

Sorry I couldn't join you on the ride today, but I did my 1st race today!

Entered the "fun" category of the Gorrick Autumn Clasic at Heath Warren Wood.

Had no idea what to expect, and it was quite intimidating seeing all the expensive machinery on show. Think I deffinitley had the oldest crudiest bike there. But I still love the stares that my bright orange steed draws!

Paid my money and went for a practice lap. 1st half of the lap was fairly easy. Long bit of fireroaduphill out of the start, and then shorter bits of fireroad linked by tight hairpins.

2nd half of the lap was mostly tight and twisty, with lots of short sharp hills, with a couple of energy sapping loose and rooty climbs.

So, after a quick feed I lined up on the start. People had come out of nowhere and suddenly it was very busy. I found myself right in the middle of a pack of 60 riders. Didn't want to be too close to the front and get in everybodys way!

For a "fun" event everyone seemed very serious! As the horn went, the 1st thing I found out was that the outsides of the pack move faster than the middle, as I was passed left and right by about 20 riders and was almost at the back.

I moved to the far left and began taking back places as the fireroad climbed up. Made up quite a few, and even managed to overtake a couple by taking agressive racing lines into the first 2 corners. At each wide section I managed to take a place or two.

As we hit the 1st bit of singletrack the pace slowed to an almost stop, and frustratingly, I could see the leaders getting away.

As the 1st lap drew to a close I was feeling ok. Going past the line I heard that I was in 22nd place - pretty good I thought.

2nd lap was pure hell. Got passed a few times, and passed a few others, but I was really feeling bad. Had completly burned out, and my lungs just couldn't take anymore. It was becomming a struggle just to keep the bike going where I wanted it No

However, I gained time by not using the brakes on the downhill techy sections, and putting all my faith in the tyres. The bike did a superb job and on two seperate occasions, riders in front of me washed out while I managed to hold it together.

Had a stronger finish, and even managed a sprint to the line at the end, taking a place.

Finally finished in 26th place. Couldn't have done another lap! Not at that pace anyway. Not cycled flat out like that for that long before.

Had a great day, and feel pretty pleased with my 26th place. Was nice to be in the top 50% my 1st time out. Had a good chat with the 27th guy I overtook on the line, as well as getting some good advice for next time from the winner.

So, gonna give it another go in 4 weeks time, and aim for a top 20 finish - more training needed. But at least I know what to expect now!

Throughly recommend it!

Results here: http://ccgi.timelaps.force9.co.uk/htdocs/GKASRD1_07-10-07.htm#FUN_MEN

(I was no. 486)

Steve

MKSteve
XT
XT

Number of posts : 123
Bike : Univega DS830
Registration date : 2007-08-05

http://www.royalandderngate.co.uk

Back to top Go down

My 1st race: Report Empty Re: My 1st race: Report

Post  Andy 2007-10-08, 06:20

Good work Steve glad to hear you enjoyed it.

sunny
Andy
Andy
XTR and a pair of Crossmax SLR's
XTR and a pair of Crossmax SLR's

Number of posts : 381
Bike : Yeti AS-R
Registration date : 2006-10-28

Back to top Go down