Cyclone MBC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stan No Tubes - Any experience

5 posters

Go down

Stan No Tubes - Any experience Empty Stan No Tubes - Any experience

Post  CrashBoy 2007-05-25, 09:54

As I have tubeless RIMs with tyres and having experienced first hand on a trail in Wales (bloddy slate!) what an absolute bitch the tyres are to get on and off to fit a tube, I am considering a tubeless system before the next Merida. Stan seems to be the racers favorite, but wondered if any of the club members had experience?

cheers

Paul

CrashBoy
Deore
Deore

Number of posts : 36
Bike : Scott Genius MC Ltd, Trek 1400, Trek Madone 5.2, Ribble
Registration date : 2006-10-26

Back to top Go down

Stan No Tubes - Any experience Empty Re: Stan No Tubes - Any experience

Post  iain09 2007-05-25, 10:41

Just bought some new wheels andI think I will be taking up the tubeless option also. Any suggestions for tyres???

iain09
XT
XT

Number of posts : 137
Bike : Commencal Meta 4 VIP/Genesis SS
Registration date : 2006-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveT 2007-05-25, 12:21

I've been riding tubeless for a couple of years after I had about about 5 pinch flats on one ride. I've always used the Continental Vertical Pros 2.1 A mate put me onto them and they've never let me down, they do seem to have a soft compound so keep off the tarmac.

I'm riding with xtr hubs with Mavic 819 rims, I use Geax solution. I've never had a flat on any ride so far including a load of 100k'ers the last one being the Penrith Merida.

Steve
SteveT
SteveT
XT
XT

Number of posts : 159
Bike : Specialized Epic and Trek Madone
Registration date : 2007-02-27

http://www.myspace.com/stevetorley

Back to top Go down

Post  N@th 2007-05-25, 13:42

Paul, Crossmax SL's are UST rims. This means you don't need to use a tubeless system with them.

Stans is only if you want to run tubeless on normal rims. A lot of fiddling around with rim tape abd sealer!!

Just buy some tubeless tyres buddy and stick them on, and off you go. If you buy 'Tubless' tyres then you don't need any sealer. If you buy 'Tubeless Ready' tyres (Bonti Mud X etc) then you need sealer.

Coolio

afro
N@th
N@th
Chris King Ultimate Racer
Chris King Ultimate Racer

Number of posts : 902
Bike : BMX Aero Burner, CW handlebars, 2 finger brakes, layback seat post.
Registration date : 2006-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy 2007-05-26, 14:37

Panaracer Fire XC Pros and Trailrakers are awesome tyres, they have strong sidewalls-from Wiggle, but not great for summer.

Gary and I have Maxxis Ignitor LUST XC tyres for the summer-from CRC.

Specialized and Bonti tyres aren't that great in my experience as tubeless tyres, because they lack strength but are light. Specialized have got some 'proper' tubeless tyres coming out in the summer, like the Captain 2bliss and the Flying Sauser 2bliss which look good. Check out specialized.com

However, no matter what tubeless tyre you get, carry spare tubes in case you do get a puncture, some CO2 and/or a tubeless puncture repair kit. Phils sell these. Geax solution from Phils is the best solution to secure tyres to rims.

sunny
Andy
Andy
XTR and a pair of Crossmax SLR's
XTR and a pair of Crossmax SLR's

Number of posts : 381
Bike : Yeti AS-R
Registration date : 2006-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content