Cyclone MBC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Intro and Info

3 posters

Go down

Intro and Info Empty Intro and Info

Post  tezza 2006-12-22, 07:19

Afternoon all. Long time reader, first time poster. Hope I get to see you out and about at some stage; may already have seen you on the local hill, I,ll be the one wheezing heavier than most, consumed in a thick layer of sweaty fog! I have a quick question. Who actually owns the Woods around Brickhill, specifically the Back Wood area? I assume its private but it doesnt seem to be FC land; anyone have any thoughts? Cheers guys (and ladies).

tezza
Deore LX
Deore LX

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2006-12-21

Back to top Go down

Intro and Info Empty Re: Intro and Info

Post  Jase 2006-12-22, 10:06

Welcome tezza.

As far as I know the land This side of the A5 is owned by the Duke of Bedford ( or whatever his title is).

He employs the Greensands Trust to maintain and police the area, hence the permits required to ride there. Rumour is that he doesn't actually want anyone on the land but knows that people will use it regardless and so employs the Trust.

The land on the other side of the A5 (Stockgrove) is owned by someone else but not sure who.

Hope to see you out soon.
Jase
Jase
Chris King Racer 600
Chris King Racer 600

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2006-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  tezza 2006-12-24, 05:24

Jase, thanks a lot for the info. Was out yesterday; strangest riding day in a while. No rain but the trees "leaked" all morning, got far wetter than if we'd had a tropical downpour. As for the land ownership, I asked only as I fancy making some polite overtones to the owners to get their views on developing a small part of the back wood area. They may say no but its worth asking. The area is at the bottom of a gully; there is a little bridge that crosses a swampy stream. Its only a couple of hundred square metres so its worth asking. Anyways, have a great Christmas, see you on the hill...

tezza
Deore LX
Deore LX

Back to top Go down

Post  tezza 2007-01-03, 06:53

Happy New Year to all. I dont know if the following affects anybody but an application to put lockable gates up at the top entrance to the heath from Sandy Lane has been made. They will be locked at night. The chap who applied for this to happen is being disturbed by nefarious evening activities. I suggested dogging but he wouldnt answer; the council have approved the gates; maybe not a problem in the winter but could be in summer. Thought you might like to know.
Would anybody know or have a BNG ref point for the little bridge that spans the mighty stream at the bottom of the gulley in Back Wood. I cant get my gps to work in that area. I think its the only wooden bridge in the area. Cheers guys for any info you can provide.

tezza
Deore LX
Deore LX

Back to top Go down

Post  N@th 2007-01-03, 07:05

Tezza, no porbs. I think I have one.

Is it the bridge where Phil Corley broke his collar bone. On the side of the up and downs? (technical speak!!)
N@th
N@th
Chris King Ultimate Racer

Number of posts : 902
Bike : BMX Aero Burner, CW handlebars, 2 finger brakes, layback seat post.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jase 2007-01-03, 09:09

sounds like that’s the one as the correct name for that area is back wood.
Jase
Jase
Chris King Racer 600
Chris King Racer 600

Number of posts : 602

Back to top Go down

Post  tezza 2007-01-03, 09:35

Nath and Jase, never heard it called "ups and downs" before but thats exactly what it is. As for falling off, I ended up knee deep in watery-sludge when I came off first time. I have been trying to get to speak to someone at Greensand Trust about that spot and need the grid ref to put together some topographical maps of the area. I,ve got mem-map so just need a ref. Until I hear back from Greensands I wont bore you guys just yet; plenty of time for me to do that. Cheers again.

tezza
Deore LX
Deore LX

Back to top Go down

Post  N@th 2007-01-06, 13:03

Tezza, Long / Lat and map below. my garmin had a reception all the way through this monring.

Its the little red flag under the BACK WOOD letters.

51°59'32.7"N, 0°40'27.9"W

Natinal Grid Ref SP 91115 33495

UTM Grid on NAD27 Ref 30 659674E 5762532N

Plus I have sent you the waypoint via email.

Intro and Info Backwoodwu1
N@th
N@th

Back to top Go down

Post  tezza 2007-01-07, 04:13

Nath, got the email thanks. I am trying to create a 3-d view of that whole area bordered by the bridge at the lowest point and the slopes leading back up towards the golf course. That bridge ref just doesnt come up on my gps (trees) so that ref is a massive help. Thanks again.

tezza
Deore LX
Deore LX

Back to top Go down

Post  N@th 2007-01-07, 11:38

These help? You can still make the flag out in all views.

Intro and Info Backwood1ye1

Intro and Info Backwood2vr3

Intro and Info Backwood3ol2
N@th
N@th

Back to top Go down

Post  tezza 2007-01-08, 03:22

Nath, thanks for those. i tried something similar but used a smaller area. I didnt realise that the run-out at the bottom was so long, which is useful to know. Now if Greensands ever come back to me!!!

tezza
Deore LX
Deore LX

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down