Cyclone MBC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Penmachno, North Wales 25th November

3 posters

Go down

Penmachno,  North Wales 25th November Empty Penmachno, North Wales 25th November

Post  speedy_daz 2006-11-26, 10:11

A Day at the Penmachno trail in northwales. The trail at Penmachno just didn't seam to flow for me maybe as I was a bit tired from the previous day but all three of us didn't really enjoy the trail. The climbs on the trail just didn't seem to be rewarded by a good down hill to follow like all the other man made trails Ive been to.
There were a few good single track sections that brought a bit of a grin then other bits that brought little more than a grimace.
The best section of the whole trail was the very last section of single track.
The worst part has two winners the first secton of single track and the top section across the top where the trees have been felled both just a real slog.
I know it takes a lot of time,planning and effort to build trails but I feel that they have made the graident less on the down hill sections to make them longer
I don't mind climbing if theres a reward but I didn't feel rewarded for the climbing
speedy_daz
speedy_daz
Chris King Racer 600
Chris King Racer 600

Number of posts : 689
Bike : OnOne Inbred 29er, Giant Trance X, Trek 4300, GT Avalanche, Genesis Day 02
Registration date : 2006-10-29

http://brogboroughlake.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Penmachno,  North Wales 25th November Empty Penmachno the return

Post  speedy_daz 2007-11-27, 03:26

With the new loop at Penmachno opening up decided to have look what it was like with some members of the mtbbritain forum.
Arrived at a bout 9.30 but didn't even get out the car til 10 as the wind and rain was that bad!
The rain eased off but the wind stay with us.
The first climb was a lot easier than I remember I guess Im a little fitter than this time last year.
The trail was a lot as I remember , a lot of pedaling on most of the single track sections to keep a good speed as the gradient of the trail isn't enough to keep it fun.
Then other sections are the complete opposite you end up going at warp speed into bits of trail that you shouldn't be going at warp (yes I crashed)
I came over a lip and bit* too quick (*alot) didn't quick make the landing and bounced along the bank thankfully not taking a trip down the mountain. No injures though just got very muddy!
The new loop is joined at the bottom of the main fire road climb there is lots of single track on it with good views towards snowdon (I was told it was Snowdon so don't blame me if it isn't!) but as in alot of the rest of the trail it hasn't got the gradient to make it proper fun you are having to pedal all the time its not very involving either nothing very technical other than the northshore, it was wet with no grip quite long in places with a very wet landing if you came off, I found out later in the evening that the bog underneath was about knee deep after talking to someone at the hostel that I stayed at over night.
The new trail rejoins the old one further up the main fireroad climb before the main open section at the top which was a really slog again with a real nasty head wind.
The last part of the trail at penmachno is definitely the best flows a lot better and the last section of all proper scary stuff!

Penmachno is one of them places Id go for a good weather summers day ride where you take your time take your lunch with you and take in the veiws, with a bit of a techical bit to get back to the car
speedy_daz
speedy_daz
Chris King Racer 600
Chris King Racer 600

Number of posts : 689
Bike : OnOne Inbred 29er, Giant Trance X, Trek 4300, GT Avalanche, Genesis Day 02
Registration date : 2006-10-29

http://brogboroughlake.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Penmachno,  North Wales 25th November Empty Re: Penmachno, North Wales 25th November

Post  N@th 2007-11-27, 04:46

Nice write up Dazzler, you are now the Official Cyclone Roving Trail Reporter.

Today Penmachno.........tomorrow Nepal !

Very Happy
N@th
N@th
Chris King Ultimate Racer
Chris King Ultimate Racer

Number of posts : 902
Bike : BMX Aero Burner, CW handlebars, 2 finger brakes, layback seat post.
Registration date : 2006-10-26

Back to top Go down

Penmachno,  North Wales 25th November Empty Re: Penmachno, North Wales 25th November

Post  Tin Tin 2007-11-27, 13:08

I'v seen similar reports from the guys I ride with at Cannock but thet keep going back for more so it must have some thing at Peenmachino. I was last there for the night stage of the RAC rally ***Yrs ago. Rolling Eyes
Tin Tin
Tin Tin
XTR
XTR

Number of posts : 281
Bike : Cannondale RZ120 - 2
Registration date : 2006-10-27

http://www.roughridersmbc.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down